Senior Scientist, Myelination Research
Frequency Therapeutics (Nasdaq: FREQ) is a leader in the development of medicines designed to activate progenitor cells within the body to treat degenerative diseases. The company’s lead product candidate, FX-322, is a potential disease modifying therapy designed to regenerate damaged auditory hair cells to improve hearing function. In initial clinical studies of FX-322, the company observed meaningful improvements in key measures of hearing function in patients with sensorineural hearing loss, the most common form of hearing loss which impacts more than 90 percent of all people with hearing loss. The company recently completed enrollment of a Phase 2a study, with results to be shared in Q2 2021. Frequency’s progenitor cell activation (PCA) approach stimulates progenitor cells to create functional tissue and the Company is researching an array of additional degenerative diseases where PCA may be applied, including a pre-clinical program for remyelination in multiple sclerosis.
Frequency is investigating the process of remyelination, which is defective in patients with Multiple Sclerosis (MS). Specifically, therapeutics that can induce endogenous oligodendrocyte precursor cells to remyelinate the adult brain are being identified as potential drug development candidates.
As we continue to advance this exciting program, we are seeking a Senior Scientist to develop and execute in vitro assays based on human cells to support the remyelination program. Responsibilities will also include target identification efforts to find novel targets and identify proteins that interact with small molecules generated from phenotypic screens. Reporting to the Senior Director, MS, the scientist will advance the remyelination program with their intellectual contributions, experimental design, execution and data analysis. The scientist will join an energetic team developing regenerative medicine therapeutics in our growing organization.
Key Responsibilities Include
- Design and optimize human IPSC derived oligodendrocyte precursor cell-based assays to discover new and characterize existing remyelinating therapeutics
- Develop CRISPR or siRNA-based experiments to investigate potential targets and mechanisms of myelination
- Execute and analyze in vitro experiments effectively on rigorous timelines
- Contribute to ongoing internal lab and external collaboration projects performed by academic partners and CROs
- Draft and submit technical reports. Assist in drafting patents and manuscripts
- Assist in preparation of external communications and presentations
- Participate in evaluation of external technology that may be in-licensed to supplement the internal Frequency efforts
- PhD and 3-5 years, or MS with 5-7 years of industry experience in Biology, Neuroscience, or related field
- Oligodendrocyte or glial biology, regenerative medicine or neurodegeneration expertise preferred
- Proven success in developing and executing assays based on IPSCs
- Knowledge of CRISPR methodologies preferred
- Experience leading a team of scientists in an industry lab setting
- Exceptional critical thinking, communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work both independently and on cross-functional teams
- Flexibility, ability and commitment to manage multiple competing priorities while meeting expected deadlines
Working at Frequency
At Frequency Therapeutics, we believe that we have the best chance to achieve our mission by creating an environment where our collective problem-solving and leadership skills are put to work, so collaboratively, we can solve some of the most complex challenges in medicine. We are focused on developing new treatments to potentially help millions of patients with novel therapeutics. This requires both a willingness to be audacious in our pursuits and relentless in our focus and commitment to research and patients. We look for individuals who are both highly skilled and self-aware, who are willing to challenge leadership and their colleagues, are entrepreneurial by nature and who are undeterred by uncertainty.
Please visit www.frequencytx.comfor more information.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefit package. For consideration, please submit CV and cover letter.