Associate Director/Director, Medicinal Chemistry
Frequency Therapeutics (Nasdaq: FREQ) is a leader in the development of medicines designed to activate progenitor cells within the body to treat degenerative diseases. The company’s lead product candidate, FX-322, is a potential disease modifying therapy designed to regenerate damaged auditory hair cells to improve hearing function. In initial clinical studies of FX-322, the company observed meaningful improvements in key measures of hearing function in patients with sensorineural hearing loss, the most common form of hearing loss which impacts more than 90 percent of all people with hearing loss. The company recently completed enrollment of a Phase 2a study, with results to be shared in Q2 2021. Frequency’s progenitor cell activation (PCA) approach stimulates progenitor cells to create functional tissue and the Company is researching an array of additional degenerative diseases where PCA may be applied, including a pre-clinical program for remyelination in multiple sclerosis.
Reporting to the VP of Process and Medicinal Chemistry, the Associate Director/Director of Medicinal Chemistry will combine scientific decision-making and organizational leadership to advance small molecule drug discovery campaigns from hit identification to development candidate.
We are seeking a talented and highly motivated individual with a strong background in synthetic organic chemistry and medicinal chemistry to lead a discovery program to clinical candidate(s).
The ideal candidate must be independent, results oriented, with excellent communication skills and be willing to work in a dynamic and fast-paced entrepreneurial environment. They will be comfortable working in and contributing to a very dynamic and cross-functional team environment.
Key Responsibilities Include
- Design, implement and execute medicinal chemistry drug discovery in a fast-paced, results-driven biotech environment to deliver clinical candidates
- Provide strategic, scientific and managerial leadership in an outsourced medicinal chemistry environment
- Collaborate effectively with the leadership team and other departments and functions
- Devise strategies to identify lead-like molecules and optimize compounds
- Develop medicinal chemistry strategies to improve drug-likeness, ADME/DMPK, and safety properties
- Work with legal to protect and expand intellectual property
- Closely interact with external chemistry CROs and team members to deliver on aggressive timelines
- PhD or equivalent in Synthetic Organic Chemistry or Medicinal Chemistry with at least 10 years’ industry experience as a medicinal chemist; MS with 12+ years of industry medicinal chemistry experience will also be considered
- Proven leadership capability in cross-functional teams, either as project team leader or co-lead with demonstrating teamwork, collaboration, and communication within team and across the department achieving aggressive corporate objectives
- Experience in leading multidisciplinary drug discovery teams and driving programs from initiation to lead optimization to clinical candidate selection
- Broad background in all aspects of drug discovery, with excellent knowledge of ADME/PK, pharmacology, physicochemical property-driven optimization, CNS penetration properties, and desirable clinical candidate properties
- Significant experience in leading external CRO synthetic chemistry activities
- Strong skills in analyzing information from competitive sources such as patents and meetings to adjust strategy
- Track record of innovation and impact on programs documented through co-inventorship on issued patents and authorship of publications in peer-reviewed journals is necessary
- Experience working with patent matters is a plus
- Experience working in multiple therapeutic areas including CNS diseases and phenotypic drug discovery is a plus
Working at Frequency
At Frequency Therapeutics, we believe that we have the best chance to achieve our mission by creating an environment where our collective problem-solving and leadership skills are put to work, so collaboratively, we can solve some of the most complex challenges in medicine. We are focused on developing new treatments to potentially help millions of patients with novel therapeutics. This requires both a willingness to be audacious in our pursuits and relentless in our focus and commitment to research and patients. We look for individuals who are both highly skilled and self-aware, who are willing to challenge leadership and their colleagues, are entrepreneurial by nature and who are undeterred by uncertainty.
Please visit www.frequencytx.comfor more information.
We offer a competitive compensation and benefit package. For consideration, please submit CV and cover letter.